Grave Mercy

Grave Mercy - Robin LaFevers

*I received this copy via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

I'd had this on my "to read" shelf on Goodreads for a while and then removed it, thinking that since I very rarely read historical books that I might not enjoy it after all.

What a load of rubbish that was!

The synopsis made me think it would be like the Throne of Glass series and in a way it was; assassin, a bit of romance, but it was also not. This was based on true events and there was a lot of different things happening in relation to the duchy.

I have to admit that the first 10-15% was a bit hard for me to get into. There wasn't too much detail about her time at the abbey and as much as I was interested in what she was learning there that bit started to bore me after a while.

It was only with the arrival of Duval and the sparks they ignited that I really started to get into this. I could tell straight away that something was going to happen there and since I'm a romance reader I was happy that there was the possibility of romance. It was nice reading the slow progression of their relationship as it changed.

As for everyone else; Anne, Isabeau, Beast etc. I grew to really like them. They all added great things to the story.

In relationship to Beast, I would really like to know what happened to him, and I'm hoping I will find the answers to that in the next book in the series.

If you like stories of assassins and romance then you'll more than likely like this.