The Revealed - Jessica Hickam

I received this ARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I just love the cover of this! Don’t you agree it just grabs the attention?

I’m a big fan of dystopia stories and this sounded different, so I thought, “Why not?”

The USA has been mostly destroyed with only a few states remaining. Lily is the daughter of a politician running for President, along with another man, Roderick Westerfield, who Lily’s family used to be close to. Roderick has a son, Kai, a year older than Lily and someone she used to be close to until the politics got in the way.

Lily has been marked to be taken by the Revealed–a group of people with abilities–since her 18th birthday and like every other 18 year old in the city is being kept at home until they reach their 19th and are safe from being taken. Truly believing they’ll come for her despite all the precautions she just wants to live life to the fullest until then.

I really liked the concept. It was dystopia but had a very different take on it, it wasn’t all deserted and “every man for themselves” or strict dictatorship, it was…like now, only with billions less people populating the planet and with a need to bring the world back into some semblance of working order.

Now to the characters. Lily is our main character and we see her struggle to do what she wants while being a member of such an influential family and the effect her actions have on them. Then there’s Kai. I wasn’t sure about him to start with but he grew on me a lot. Then Rory, Lily’s best friend, she’s pretty awesome.

The story was pretty much continuous action, there was always something happening–which stops boredom from creeping in–and it kept me reading, and wanting to read it when I was busy. It was politics and supernatural and romance. I can’t really say much else without spoiling the plot but it was right up my street and I really enjoyed it!

If you’re looking for something dystopian and a little different then you should try this. If you’re looking for a new name to read, then this is a good story.

I’d definitely recommend this book/series! It’s a great start.